Every year since 1951, the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) has hosted Mental Health Week during the first week of May. According to CMHA, one in five Canadians experience a mental illness or mental health issues. It is a week to recognize the struggles that many are facing and to be kind to yourself and others.
We encourage you to take some time this week (and every week) to nurture your mental wellbeing—as well as that of your kids and other people around you. Here are some books and resources to get you started.
If you or someone you know is struggling, there are many places to reach out for help right here in our community. These include:
- CMHA WW Self Help and Peer Support
- Camino Wellbeing + Mental Health (formerly Carizon, KW Counselling, and Monica Place)
- Distress and Crisis Ontario
- Grand River Hospital, Mental Health and Addictions
- Here 24/7
- Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region
- SPECTRUM Waterloo Region
- Waterloo Region Suicide Prevention Council
Other Ways to Boost Your Mental Health
Waterloo Public Library is here to help you find ways to practice self-care and boost your mental health.
- Get outside with our Explore Nature Kits & Nordic Walking Poles
- Borrow a board game or puzzle
- Listen to music – check out our collection of vinyl records
- Discover something new to read, recommended by us
- Meet new people at a FREE library program or event