Join us for book club conversation!
No need to sign up. The WPL Book Clubs have “open” membership, so you can drop in once in a while, or attend every month.
Date and Time: Monday, November 13 at 7 p.m.
Location: Auditorium, Main Library
Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving
Summary: This is the story of Juan Diego Guerrero (né Rivera), who is either “a kid from Mexico or a grown-up from Iowa,” depending on his mood. As an adult, Juan Diego is a famous writer, a professor at the Iowa Writers’ Workshop no less, and an international literary sensation. Although he lives a somewhat glamorous life — first-class travel, occasional groupies — he is not entirely happy, owing to the trauma of his childhood. Not that he has disturbing recollections; on the contrary, and as counterintuitive as it seems, Juan Diego is bothered by the lack of them. He is under the influence of two prescription drugs: Viagra, with its obvious benefit, and Lopressor, a beta-blocker that leaves him feeling “diminished.” Even worse, it robs him of his dreams, the only means by which he can access his memories.
Date and Time: Thursday, November 16 at 1:30 p.m.
Location: Board Room, Main Library
A Force for Good by Daniel Goleman
With the help of his longtime friend Daniel Goleman, the New York Times bestselling author of Emotional Intelligence, details the science of compassion and how this singular guiding motivation has the power to :
* break such destructive social forces as corruption, collusion, and bias
* heal the planet by refocusing our concerns toward our impact on the systems that support all life
* reverse the tendency toward systemic inequity through transparency and accountability
* replace violence with dialogue
* counter us-and-them thinking by recognizing human oneness
* create new economic systems that work for everyone, not just the powerful and rich
* design schooling that teaches empathy, self-mastery, and ethics
Millions of people have turned to the Dalai Lama for his unparalleled insight into living happier, more purposeful lives. Now, when the world needs his guidance more than ever, he shows how every compassion-driven human act–no matter how small–is integral for a more peaceful, harmonious world, building a force for a better future.
For more information about WPL Bookd Clubs, contact Christine at email@example.com or 519-886-1310 ext. 146.